Travel in Australia

In Australia, cannabis medicines are regulated within a medical framework to ensure the health and safety of patients. The prescription of cannabis medicines is regulated at a state and territory level.

While exemptions may apply under certain conditions for travellers carrying cannabis medicines into Australia, these only apply to people with a prescription from a medical practitioner who have had the cannabis medicine supplied in accordance with that prescription (i.e. by dispensing through a pharmacist, rather than supply through some other form of retail or other mechanism). Cannabis medicines provided in countries by mechanisms other than a prescription may not meet the legal requirements of the Customs (Prohibited Import) Regulations 1956. For further information, visit the Office of Drug Control’s website.

In NSW, unless a cannabis medicine* has been prescribed by a doctor authorised by the NSW Ministry of Health, it will constitute an illicit product under section 10(2)(c) of the Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act 1985 (NSW). Enforcing compliance with this Act is at the discretion of NSW Police. 

* Except for a cannabidiol-only medicine which is included in Schedule 4 of the Poisons List. For Schedule 4 medicines, the prescriber only needs authority from the Therapeutic Goods Administration to prescribe.