NSW cannabis medicines program
The NSW Government’s commitment to cannabis medicines
The NSW Government recognises the potential for cannabis and/or cannabis-based medicines to alleviate symptoms or potentially treat some debilitating or terminal illnesses in specific patient groups.
To build this evidence base, the NSW Government:
- Established the Centre for Medicinal Cannabis Research and Innovation to educate the community, help stakeholders navigate regulatory processes, and monitor the NSW Government-funded clinical trials.
- Provided $9 million over four years to fund clinical trials in three areas: exploring cannabis use in reducing seizures in children with severe treatment-resistant epilepsy; improving appetite in adult palliative care patients with advanced cancer; and preventing chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in adult patients.
- Launched the NSW Cannabis Medicines Advisory Service to provide support and clinical advice to doctors considering prescribing a cannabis medicine to a patient.
- Provided funding to the Australian Centre for Cannabinoid Clinical and Research Excellence to undertake projects including establishing a clinical trial in the palliative care population and a cannabinoid pharmacokinetics sampling program.
- Contributed $1 million in funding for agronomic research undertaken by the NSW Department of Primary Industries to support the development of high quality cannabis products in NSW.
- Provided funding support for the Australian Government’s national review of the scientific evidence for the use of cannabis medicines in five areas: palliative care, nausea and vomiting, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and pain. Helped coordinate, with the Therapeutic Goods Administration, the development of clinical guidance documents for prescribers of cannabis medicines in these five areas.
- Delivered educational sessions and resources to hundreds of health professionals across NSW in the form of webinars, conference presentations, fact sheets and symposia.
The Centre for Medicinal Cannabis Research and Innovation website
This website has been created to provide information on cannabis medicines to patients and health professionals in NSW, Australia. If you reside in another state or territory within Australia, we encourage you to contact your relevant Government department to receive accurate information regarding regulations and access to cannabis medicines.